Saturday 14 April 2012

Quilts and Embroidery 2012

Yesterday I spent the day at Margaret McQuillen's show at Uttoxeter race course, it's a good venue, not so big that you get exhausted walking around but big enough to provide a varied range of quilts, embroideries and traders. I hadn't been before, New Zealand got in the way last year, so it was a first for me.
Having embroidery and quilts, the traders covered all bases for me, quilt requirements and the odds and ends I need for my dolls, such as bits of metallic stuff, merino felting wool and Treasure Gold, I didn't buy one bit of fabric!
I have added two photos, the winning quilt in the Innovative category, a triptych made by Hilary Beattie and, from the same category, my favourite quilt, the work of Anne Armes, little cushions in a wonderfully subtle colour set.The open spaces say so much.

Hilary's Quilt 

Anne's Quilt


As well as quilts there is an amazing display of embroidery that I found most inspiring, Natural Resources,  a selection of work from Wolverhampton Embroiderers is an inspiring exhibition. The work of June Parkinson especially interested me, below is a piece by her


One of June's embroideries, the textures and colour are rich and beautiful.




Here are some of my bits of metal, can't wait to get into the studio and start playing with them.
.

If you can get there I recommend a visit to the show, I found it had enough to keep me interested for the day along with a pleasant lunch break and the odd rest on the many chairs dotted around the show galleries. The other pleasure was catching up with old friends, many of whom I haven't seen in years.




No comments:

Post a Comment